Jesus Christ came so that we can have life and have to the full. To be truly alive to Christ means, we must have his life flowing within our hearts. If you are like me, you’ll admit, that life leaks. Sometimes I am truly on fire and full of spiritual vitality, but other times I experience seasons of dryness.
The question is how do I get my spiritual life revived again?
An Abiding Presence
The first sign of a revived christian life is a life that enjoys the abiding presence of the Holy Spirit. He possesses a fullness that is ever-increasing – from glory to glory. In the words of a famous preacher, it is “something that you don’t have to stir up, crank up, work up.” Too often, revival is about how loud and emotional people can get in a meeting. Don’t get me wrong, I think, when God shows in our meetings it is going to get loud. But too often, people try to reproduce something God did before and act as if he is doing it again. Revival is more than volume, or mimicking moves of God. It is about the tangible, indwelling, abiding presence of God. It’s about the real deal, not the stuff that is worked-up. In order to enjoy that presence, we must do the following:
- Abide in Him – “Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.” John 15:4
- Guide our hearts above all things – “Keep your heart with all vigilance,
for from it flow the springs of life.” Proverbs 4:23
Keep in step with the Spirit – “If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit.” Galatians 5:25
- Practice the disciplines of prayer, meditation, worship – “Blessed is the man who’s delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither.” Psalm 1:1-3
The things of earth simply go dim
The second sign of a revived christian life is a life captivated by a single-minded devotion and love for Jesus and the things of God. When it doesn’t bother you anymore, that you missed your favorite TV show or the Superbowl, not because you forgot to Tivo it, but because you wanted to take part in something of eternal significance – you are having a revival. When all the things of earth grow dim in the light of God, his church, his people and his work, that’s a sign of a revived christian life. To make that happen, we must be willing to:
- Put God first – “But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” Matthew 6:33
- Love not the world and the things of the world – “Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit,” Ephesians 5:15-18
A Hunger for More
The third sign of a revived christian life is an insatiable hunger for more of God. There is no place for things as usual. There is a hunger to spend time with the Lord in prayer, worship and meditation. There is a hunger to see God move in the lives of others. There is a hunger for purity and holiness. Your heart breaks over the things that break the heart of God. The more you seek God, the more you find Him. The more you find God, the more you see Him. It’s a never-ending desire for more of Him.
- Hunger for more – “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.” Matthew 5:6
- Never be lacking in zeal – “Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit,7 serve the Lord.” Romans 12:11
God Deeper with the following Power Passages on Revival
2 chronicles 7:14
Psalm 145:1-5; 17-21
Prayer Revive us again Lord; Fill each heart with your love; May each soul be rekindled With fire from above. Amen!