The scripture under discussion today is one among many that changed the course of my life forever. I want to talk about the future – but allow me to go back about twenty-five years to when I first met the Lord and understood that He had a plan for my life. It was an eye opener – a treasured discovery that sparked in me a curiosity to understand all the things God had planned for life and my future. The first passage that really got the ball rolling for me is found in Acts 13:36
For when David had served God’s purpose in his own generation, he fell asleep; he was buried with his fathers and his body decayed.
all my days are written in your book before one of them came to be (v16)…
such knowledge is wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain…
“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.”
Jeremiah 29:11-13 ESV
1. It’s an Original Plan… “I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD,2. It’s a good plan… “Plans to prosper you and not to harm you,”3. It’s a plan with a promise… “Plans to give you hope and a future.I think verse 11 cannot stand with-out verse 12.They go hand in hand. Here is what it says:4. It’s a plan activated by diligent search… “Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me,5. It’s a reliable plan… “and I will listen to you.”
You see God has a plan for your life – and though all may seem dark and austere right now his plan still stands. Here are four things you need to understand about your future and about God’s plan for you:
1. It is an original plan… He says – “for I know the plan I have for you. He says he knows the way you should take… he knows how you feel right now… He knows how he is going to get you out of the mess you are in right now. It’s like a road map… all sketched out for you. He says all your days have been ordained for you. Where you should live, to whom you should get married, what career choice you should make, what you should do with your life. He says be careful and don’t live your life haphazardly. Don’t do things because everyone is doing it. James 4:15 “Instead, you ought to say,
If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.
It’s an original plan – because you are unique – you are different – stop copying other – stop trying to be like others. He says in 1 Corinthians 2:9
No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him.
You need a revelation of God plan for your life. Verse 10 says,
but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit.
2. It is a good plan… He says – it is a plan to prosper and not to harm you. It’s a well thought out plan. It’s a detailed plan – nothing was left out. From beginning to end, from start to finish–it’s a good plan. He says that he’s counted the cost and he’s done his home work (Luke 14:27-29) – the plan will certainly bring you to an expected end. This plan will certainly bring you
success. This plan will certainly work. He says, don’t doubt plan because of the bumps along the way. He says, He will take your stumbling blocks… and turn them into stepping
stones… he will take your road blocks and turn them into path-finders. For he
I will make a way where there seems to be no way.
he will take your only chance and turn it into a second chance. Yes, I am talking
about a God who can take you from nowhere to somewhere.
3. It’s a plan with a promise… God says you can be excited about your life because there is hope and He will bring you to an expected end. He says, “I want to speak life to you, I want you to be exited about your future. Because He sees you in your future and you are thriving, walking in favor and prosperity.” God says He is bringing you to an expected end.
4. The plan is activated by a diligent search… one hundred
percent of the time – those who are really serious about understanding,
discovering and doing the will of God are equally serious about searching for
it. God says,
than you will call on me – come and seek me.
That’s how you become certain about the future. That’s how you tap into the mind of Christ
about your destiny. That’s how you discover the way you should take, the
decisions to take, and choices to make. That’s how you hear his voice and make sense of the dry places in your life. That’s how stay to stay encouraged and victorious.
5. Finally, it’s a plan that is reliable… God says
he will be listening.He will make himself available 24/7 to answer all the questions and concerns. He will be there constantly to clarify the plan along the way. He will give you a hundred percent satisfaction. He himself will be the one guiding you – he’s not
delegating this to anyone. In fact he will be flexible with you and will allow you to express the desires of your heart but only if you delight yourself in Him
Psalm 37:4. When God tells you he will be listening to you he is not kidding – he means it. His plan is reliable from start to finish. Just trust him and he will take good care of you.
I invite you to cast all your cares and anxiety on him right now because he cares for you – and is going to take good care of you. Let Him worry about your future. As for you – just understand that he knows what the future holds for you and that he is working it out. Just understand that his
plan is good and that it is to prosper you – not harm you – to give you hope and success. Just put your heart and your mind into seeking him and fixing your eyes
on him – and he will bring to perfection the things that he started in your
life. And finally – trust him to deliver on his promises.
“My God, I try to make so many plans for my life, but I know Your plans for me are best. You tell me that You have plans for me to prosper and have hope and a future. Thank You for loving me enough to have a plan for my life. You have promised me that when I call on You, You will listen to me. Thank You for listening when I pray. I am confident knowing that I serve a God who cares about my life. I want to find You every day, and You say that if I seek You with all my heart, I will find You. Thank You for showing me the way to You. I lay my plans down at Your feet and receive Your plans for me (mention your plans and lay them down before God). I know that You see the big picture and You know what is better for me than I do. I trust You, and I ask You to guide me toward Your plans.”
Thanks Walter – excellent exposition and Scripture references.
Thank you Bill!