My purpose here is to argue that sometimes sensitivity, tact and cleverness in the way we communicate pays off greatly as we seek to deliver a difficult to swallow kind of message, convey a rebuke, or bring correction to a person who really needs it. For me, sometime our so-called speaking truth to power or motivating others for a greater good can come across as vicious, rude and simply disrespectful.
Here are some of those things I think could be better, if not, more effectively communicated:
1. We would like to welcome all of you C&E Folks to our Special Easter/Christmas Service. All our C&E folks? It means those who only show up in church for an Easter or Christmas service. In some circles they are called Christers or Onecers.
2. Back in the day we used to go for hours way past the time for us to dismiss service when the Holy Ghost began to move
3. God is not impress with the one hour you give to him at the Sunday morning service
4. Now a days, we do not speak in tongues and prophecy in our meetings and church services nor do we have the freedom to dance, jump and roll
5. I am tired of all these pastors and churches that water down the gospel of Jesus Christ… In fact today I am going to name and shame them
6. Every time I stand in this pulpit, the Holy Spirit grabs hold of my tongue, sets aside what I prepared to preach and blesses me with an unusual anointing
7. Where are the miracles, where are the signs, where are the wonders? The church has lost its power because it is not praying enough
8. I am not here to reach church people. My passion is for the lost not church people
9. I don’t need to go to bible school nor do I need the wisdom of man… all I need is the fire of the Holy Spirit and my Bible.
10. I don’t even prepare my messages. Bless God I’ve got the Holy Ghost
What are some of the most ridiculous things you have heard from a preacher? Feel free to leave a comment.