Here’s little post I wrote
You might want to read it
Line by Line
Don’t worry be happy!
Have you ever heard people say things like – “when I get that house up in the hills, or that car – “than” I will be happy?” I have! I have heard and seen people try to make material goods, success, social status and outside influences or events control or dictate their level of happiness.
- When I get that pair of legs – than I will be happy
- When I get that promotion or raise – than I will be happy
- When I meet Mr. Or Mrs. Right – than I will be happy
But what people fail to realize is that riches, material blessings, the ideal life and all your hopes and dreams combined can not make you happy. Your happiness does not depend on or should not be dependent upon others, circumstances or what you have or have not. The bible says that a man’s life does not consist in the abundance of what he has.” Yet, many of us think that accumulating stuff, seeking all the pleasures of life and achieving success will bring us happiness. Ecclesiastes chapter 2 is a powerful testament to fact that those things don’t bring happiness. In fact Solomon concluded that they were “vanity a chasing after the wind.”
So is it possible to experience true happiness? Yes! Because true happiness does not depend on the right circumstance, it depends upon the right attitude we develop in life. The scripture is very clear on the subject. In fact Matthew chapter 5 is usually dubbed “attitude of the beatitude.”
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account.
The idea behind the ancient Greek word for blessed is “happy,” It is something more than a sense of merely being comfortable or entertained at the moment. It is something more than a temporary or circumstantial feeling of happiness, this is a state of well-being in relationship to God that belongs to those who respond to Jesus’ ministry.
1. Humility brings happiness… Poor in the spirit does not mean you are insignificant, or personally without value. It simply means to depend on God. The opposite of poor in spirit is arrogance. To have no need for God. Humility attracts the blessings of God. Pride drives away the blessings. When we live humbly before God, He gives us kingdom blessings.
2. Reliance on God brings happiness… Every one of us try to run from sorrow, and seek joy. Yet, true joy must necessarily be the fruit of sorrow. That is, those who, feeling their spiritual poverty, mourn after God, lamenting the iniquity that separated them from the fountain of blessedness.
3. Meekness brings happiness… The meek are the “gentle” (11:29), those who do not assert themselves over others to further their own agendas in their own strength, but who will nonetheless inherit the earth because they trust in God to direct the outcome of events. Ps. 37:11.
4. Hunger for God brings happiness… Those who recognize that God is the source of real righteousness, so they long for his righteous character to be evident in people’s lives on earth. They shall be satisfied by responding to his invitation to be in relationship with him.
5. Mercy and kindness bring happiness… The kindness and forgiveness that the merciful show to others will also be shown to them. with the measure you give it will be given back unto you.
6. Pursuit of purity brings happiness… those whose pursuit of purity and uprightness affects every area of life. they shall see God. Note the ultimate fulfillment in Rev. 22:4; John 1:18.
7. Peacemaking brings happiness…Those who promote God’s peace will receive the greatest reward of being called sons of God (Gal. 3:26) as they show the character of their heavenly Father.
8. Courage and faithfulness to God brings happiness… Those who are persecuted are those who have been wrongly treated because of their faith. God is pleased when his people show that they value him above everything in the world, and this happens when they courageously remain faithful amid opposition for righteousness’ sake. Their reward may not come on earth, but it surely will be theirs in heaven.
How is your attitude? When you are mistreated, do you seek revenge? How is your attitude? Are you a person who sows discord and factions among friends? How is your attitude? Are the type who wants it all, or are you selfless, humble and meek, putting others first and relying on God to take care of you?
It is all about your attitude. It can make you happy or it can lead to sadness. I urge you to pursue a state of well-being in a relationship with God than to spend your life chasing after the wind.