We live in an era where you don’t have to leave the comfort of your home to be faced with temptation. You turn on the television, you get on the internet and you can find it every on every click or change of channel.
If we are not smart we can begin to think and even believe that the consequences of playing a little loosed with temptation will be minor. But every compromising click or changed channel can drag you down into a deep and dark dungeon of bondage and addiction.
We have all seen and heard of scandals over the past decade, ones that shocked leaving homes broken, lives destroyed and reputations ruined all because of one single poor judgement. Bill Pollard said, “reputations are fragile, they must be handled with care like a valuable vase that if dropped can never quite be put together again”.
Temptations knock at the door of all of us. It would be nice to heed the voice of God
it knocks at your door – master it!
And don’t forget that your
enemy the devil prowls like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour
So be careful, be watchful, be alert. Be on you guard against the enemy and even your own weakness – because everyone has one.
Here are some things you can do to deal with temptation:
- resist the enemy
- get a mentor
- maintain a vibrant prayer life
- know your weakness and learn where the enemy tempts you the most
- join a life group of trusted friends… friends who are better than you
- choose what you watch, hear, and where you go
- draw near to God
- never underestimate a small temptation
- openly confront temptations
- setup guard rails to protect yourself… accountability structures handling money, the opposite sex, what to watch where to go.
Image Source: dCPchallenge